Friday, August 8, 2014

A Garden Quote from Emily Climbs

"Big words are never beautiful--'incriminating'--'obstreperous'--'international'--'unconstitutional.' They make me think of those horrible big dahlias and chrysanthemums Cousin Jimmy took me to see at the exhibition in Charlottetown last fall. We couldn't see anything lovely in them, though some people thought them wonderful. Cousin Jimmy's little yellow 'mums, like pale, fairy-like stars shining against the fir copse in the north-west corner of the garden, were ten times more beautiful. But I am wandering from my subject--also a bad habit of mine, according to Mr. Carpenter. He says I must (the italics are his this time!) learn to concentrate--another big word and a very ugly one." from "Emily Climbs", by LM Montgomery
Miss Roselle's Garden

No comments: